[rollei_list] Re: Softbox Louver Effectiveness Questions

  • From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:40:36 -0500

At 02:20 AM 4/18/2005, Ruben wrote:
>When describing you backdrop as low kee - does that mean that you whant it
>to be darker that it actually is ?
>cheers
>Ruben

Ruben,
The backdrop I plan to use is "black" but I haven't seen one that is truly,
completely black, just very, very deep charcoal gray.  That's already very
low key and I want it to drop to completely black in the photographs . . .
Zone 0 . . . with absolutely no detail (indistinguishable from unexposed
film).  Placing it well behind the subject material helps some.  Blocking
light spill onto it will hopefully keep texture and any waviness (almost
impossible to eliminate) from showing very slight highlights and shadows .
. . a problem I've had a few times in the past using umbrellas.

Thanks,
-- John Lind