[rollei_list] Re: Softbox Louver Effectiveness Questions

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:28:18 -0400

On Monday, April 18, 2005, at 02:56  AM, John A. Lind wrote:

> (a) How well do softbox louvers actually control light spill to the
> sides
> of the softbox compared to just the plain face and compared to using
> barn
> doors on the softbox?
> (b) Should I be considering making some barn doors for the softbox
> instead?
>
> (Note: Photoflex doesn't make barn doors for my softbox; I'd have to
> fabricate them.)

I've never found that barn doors do much of anything on a soft box
because the front face is such a broad light source.  The barn doors
would have to be long enough to almost touch your subject to do much.

I use the grid-type louvers on some of my softboxes.  They do control
the light because they cover the whole face of the box.  You can make
your own from thin black foam core type board or black fabric.

Bob