[rollei_list] Re: Slightly OT: Why no advances in film?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:31:52 -0600

Emmanuel BIGLER wrote, in part:

Hello from France!

First, it should be reminded that Polaroid Corp. had on catalogue a silver halide product rated ISO 10,000.

----------

In the long-ago I attended a technical seminar in New York, held at a university, so we had room mates in a dorm. My room mate was a scientist/engineer from Polaroid.

He explained, in detail, how Polaroid milked every tiny thing to get the highest possible efficiency for their products. It's been over 40 years so I don't remember any specifics but I was impressed by their handle on the applicable technology.

Emmanuel, on a separate subject. do you remember the company once called CSF? I worked for General Dynamics and made several trips towards creating a joint-venture company to exploit our missile tracking technology. The director I worked with was a decent fellow and I had lunch at his apartment several times. Gracious family.

We eventually failed because upper management decided to not proceed. I remember a few things, however.

1. Some CSF engineers took me to the top of the Eiffel Tower to show how they had managed to get 3" coax all the way to the top for TV transmitters. Over that distance the weight of the center conductor is significant.

2. At lunch in Paris, their engineers said that if someone had to work on Saturday they just weren't qualified for their job. In the U.S. working Saturday morning was expected for engineers and managers.

3. I remember a train ride from Paris to Bordeaux, sleeping on folded-down seats.

4. Installing some antennas we had built in San Diego, in the beach at Biscarrosse Plage. The antennas were embedded flush in the sand. I remember the electronics equipment was in a metal hut. It was windy and sand was everywhere. I helped work on a system that had a phase-locked-loop, suffering from a limit-cycle instability.

Well, very odd topics but sort of related, at least the Polaroid comments.

DAW