[rollei_list] Re: Sharpness and Old Tessars --not lynching or the Doc

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:44:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:59 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Sharpness and Old Tessars --not lynching or the Doc

Richard Knoppow wrote (snipped):

Tessars, as a generic type, are capable of excellent performance but, of course there are better and worse designed lenses. An example of a very well designed Tessar type is the series of f/6.8 Commercial Ektar lenses. The f/4.5 Ektars made for press and medium format cameras is nearly as good. Zeiss Tessars from the 1930s and '40s are very good lenses but not quite up to the Kodak lenses, perhaps because of the glass available at the time.

I'd bet you a nickel that it is more a function of speed. As I mentioned, this is a medium speed design, which is probably why modern shooters eschew it. The large format Nikkor f/9 series is an excellent tessar type, and as you say so was the Commercial Ektar f/6.8 series. It stands to reason that the MF f/4.5 Ektars should outperform the f/3.5 Zeisses (all things being equal) as they are more within the optimal design paramaters of the basic lens type. Greenleaf puts the optimal design speed of a tessar-type of 100 mm FL at f/6.3.

Eric Goldstein ---

It is partly a matter of speed. For equally well designed lenses the slower ones will perform better than the faster ones because the angle of the rim rays is less. However, even when comparing lenses of he same speed there can be a variation in performance due to something in the design. For instance, f/4.5 Kodak Ektar, about a 1940 design, have less spherical aberration wide open than the Zeiss Tessars of the same period. A much later design (about 1946), the Wollensak Raptar, also sold as the Graflex Optar, has a design error of some sort. These f/4.5 lenses seem to have excessive coma, or perhaps its oblique spherical, which is consistent with all focal lengths. These lenses have a little smearing at the corners even at f/22 where the Kodak and Zeiss lenses are free of it by f/8. I will have to look at Greenleaf again but I think what he says is that f/6.3 Tessars are better than f/4.5 rather than it being an optimum speed. At f/8 the lens is even better which is why Zeiss Tessar type process lenses are around this speed and why the Nikkor lens is so good.
BTW, it sure would be intresting to know what Greenleaf really thought about various manufacturers, he hints in this book and in a couple of articles he wrote that most QC was pretty awful. I don't think the Goerz Dogmar on the dust jacket is a coincidence, reading between the lines I think he had a high opinion of Goerz.
I typed f/6.8 in error for the Commercial Ektar, they are f/6.3. Zeiss and B&L also made a series of Tessars of this speed. I've never had one to inspect but the published specs indicate it has a slightly wider coverage than the faster versions.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx