[rollei_list] Shanghai GP3 and Lucky 100

  • From: Neil Purling <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 13:07:27 +0100

Has anyone tried both of these Chinese emulsions?

The Shanghai GP3 isn't a bad emulsion, shame about the base material though. It coils like a damn clock spring, even after drying under tension, when a roll of Fomapan hanging alongside hangs straight.. When I opened a box of the Lucky 100 I found the what looked like a roll of Shanghai GP3, except for 'Lucky' on the sealing band. Same backing paper too, which doesn't matter past finding exposure #1 in my Rolleicord but the printing is almost invisible through some simple viewfinder cameras. If there's anyone that has used the Lucky 100 120 roll: Does the damn stuff also curl like Shanghai GP3?

I am not going to rely on either of the above films for anything decent. I have a brick of Fomapan 200 to rate at 125ASA and another of XP2. I have been using some basic fifties viewfinder cameras of late and the old Rolleicord hasn't really got a look in. A old Dacora Digna, Ilford Sporti, Baldixette or Goldixette all have simple lenses if used wide open exhibit the same edge softness of the Diana minus the light leaks and are also are far more durable.