[rollei_list] Re: Sears Seroco 4" by 5" folding plate camera kit

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:59:50 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:08 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Sears Seroco 4" by 5" folding plate camera kit

Sears Seroco 4" by 5" folding plate camera kit, including camera in E+ c

Seen from this side of the Atlantic, I would guess that this Sears
device would be fitted with a razor-sharp planer ;-)

Not kidding, Marc, is this photo-Sears company the same brand as the famous chain of hardware stores ? (my favourite place when I'm in Northen America looking for a 1/4" or 3/8" tooling to make photo
threads ;-)

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>

Sears Roebuck Co sold cameras under their house brand for decades. Kingslake covers this in his little book on Rochester photographic companies but my copy is hiding at the moment. SEROCO is, of course, SEars RObuck and CO. Sears was one of the pioneers in mail order sales in the U.S. The full Sears catalogue was the size of a big city telephone book and covered everything from household goods and clothes to farm machinery. For clothes and shoes one followed the directions in the back of the catalogue for fitting. Sears specialized in catering to farms and farm communities which were far removed from the big city but always had railroad service. Sears also had retain stores throughout the U.S. There were a few very large stores which also served as wearhouses for the larger items. One of my favorite treats when I was a kid was going to the main Sears store in Detroit. It was very large and had all sorts of large farm machinery in the basement. I don't think you can name much of anything other than perishables which could not be ordered through the catalogue. The curious thing is that internet sales, which are supposed to be all the rage, are no more than old fashioned mail order but with an on-line catalogue. Other than computer software everything must still be delivered by rail, truck, or air. Sears' failure of some years ago can be traced IMO to "modern" management who know only to cut costs to the bone. If you cut to the point were service is unsatisfactory you are going to go out of business. In its glory days Sears offered high value, good quality products along with excellent service.

Los Angeles, CA, USA