[rollei_list] Re: Scanning sheets of colour negatives

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:48:42 -0400

Hi John,

> One problem with colour negatives, scanned in colour using a flatbed
> scanner, is the resultant granularity. I guess it's to do with the pixel
> spacing on the scanner head (ie one pixel for each colour in a group).

If you are referring to how a digital camera sensor array is done, using a
Bayer pattern where each sampled "location" is only one color, a scanner is
different.  They use tri-linear sensors, therefore every sampled "location"
gets all three colors.

I scan my sheeted negatives, both color and B&W, using an Epson 836XL with a
transparency adapter (light source on top of the scanner that follows the
sensor array).  They come out great.  800PPI, not enough to make any sizable
prints out of, but great for "contact" sheets.

So, if you are not using a transparency adapter, I strongly suggest you do.

Regards,

Austin