[rollei_list] Re: Scanning, an answer

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:17:19 -0300

2011/10/16 gramario <gramario@xxxxxx>:
> Hi everyone,
> I recently got some prints back from B&W negatives (120), done by an external
> studio. While talking to my local dealer (who sends them on to this big
> studio), he mentioned that nowadays all negatives are scanned (obviously due
> to mass production, they no longer use enlargers, etc.). I  wondered what
> kind of quality is lost int his scanning process? After all, one reason I use
> film (albeit not the only one) is to creatively use grain, rather than be
> nauseated by digital noise. Has anyone with more knowledge than I any
> suggestions, apart from home printing, to ensure that I can maintain the
> quality I try to achieve in my camera?

I'll comment my experience:
1)Scanning quality is the result of these three main factors:
a)Original image quality; b)Scanner quality; c)Scanning process
quality; and then there is no a direct answer to your question, if the
big studio where your B&W 120 negs were scanned has a drum scanner or
an Imacon and the like, and they did a good scanning process for a
good original, there is no doubt your final image could reflect the
original neg quality, but if the scanner quality is not good and/or
the scanning process was not the best, you could be losing details and
contrast for your neg. You could examine your negs in a light box with
a good loupe to see the image details and comparing them with the
scanned image and/or final print, you could see if you are losing
something.

2) I have scanned 35mm color negs processed in commercial labs in USA
and in my city and I have compared the scanned images with the
commercial prints made by those labs via automatic negs scan, there is
no comparison point for the image darker areas, even with my modest
Epson flatbed scanner my results are a lot better for the neg darker
areas, I obtain details and colors you can't see in the commercial
print. The commercial print looks sharp and with good color balance,
however it eliminates details and colors for dark areas that you can
see in the neg and I extract during my scanning process. The situation
was different some years ago when the prints were optical prints, but
now I use the lab color prints to select the images I'll scan again
(from the negs) obtaining better results, the difference can be
dramatic for dark areas. BTW, I finally print or send the scanned file
to the lab to get an image from my scan if I want or if I need a
print. About 120 color negative film, the lab processes it for me (the
negs quality is very good in general) but I don't want their prints.

3) I process my 120 B&W films, it's a pleasure to me to do it. I have
a Kaiser enlarger but it is not ready to work yet and then I scan the
negs to get a print, the prints show good detail, good contrast and
sharpness if the size is not so large, my flatbed scanner has limits
in spite of the high resolution stated for it, I'll use the enlarger
for larger prints.