[rollei_list] Re: Scanner advice needed, please

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:07:22 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 3:15 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Scanner advice needed, please

Richard,

I seem to recall Portrait Pan, but I may be in error.

Wasn't there a LF sheet film made that had the back
or emulsion side specially prepared for retouching?

Jerry

It could well have been Portrait Panchromatic. It had as upswept characteristic which Kodak liked for portrait work. About the only current film with this sort of characteristic is Tri-X 320.
I looked at a c.1946 Kodak film booklett and could find no mention of retouching surfaces but some films may have had them. Kodak had retouching surfaces on both back and front of all "professional" B&W films, both sheet and roll, and still does.
Retouching in Hurrel's time consisted of pencil work on the negative, with the aid of a toothed retouching surface applied like lacquer, along with the use of red dye and various abrasive techniques. The latter could be done by hand or by a "retouching machine" which had a vibrating base on which the negative was placed while the abrasion was done with a tool. I think these are still made, or were until recently.
Kodak made a couple of grades of abrasive paste but a lot of workers used stove polish. This was also an abrasive paste made for cleaning old fashioned cast iron stoves.
I suppose one could attrbute the invention of Photoshop to the demise of cast iron stoves.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx