[rollei_list] Re: SL66 for travel?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:04:05 -0700

    Beware that at least some Linhof Technika cameras have a reputation for needing new bellows. Linhof seems to have used genuine leather bellows which are subject to rotting. Once leather begins to degrade there is nothing to be done about it. Leather dressings can make britle leather more flexible but will not stop the rot.
   Graflex used synthetic bellows on all its cameras after about 1940 and many older Graphic and Graflex cameras were refitted at the factory. Linhof replacement bellows are probably still available but will be quite expensive.
    The focal plane shutter which gives the Speed Graphic its name, can be very useful but also adds a lot of weight to the camera. The Crown Graphic is essentially the same camera without the FP shutter. Its lighter and the box is shallower since it does not have to contain the shutter mechanism. There are a number of barrel mounted lenses which are useful on a Speed Graphic. I have not seen a Kodak Aero Ektar for some time. They were popular right after WW-2 because they were available surplus at low prices. However, they contained a small amount of radio-active glass which will turn brown with age. The lens is a seven element Planar type intended for night aerial photography using flash bombs. Like so much other ordnance the Aero Ektar was not intended to have a long life. The superior optical properties of the glasses explains their use plus I am not sure even Kodak was aware of the browning of glass under long term exposure to radiation. The strength of the radiation is probably not strong enough to make the lenses dangerous to use but I would not sleep with one.
    FWIW, the focal plane shutter on the Graflex cameras is relatively crude. Graflex did have a more sophisticated design very early on but found it did not perform enough better to justify the cost and maintenance.  The Pacemaker series S.G. has a simple low speed regulator on the shutter using a flywheel. The speed of these shutters is not consistent either end to end or for successive exposures. Nonetheless, they can be very useful on occasion.
    By the time press photographers were switching to Rolleis and 35mm cameras most who used 4x5 had gone over to the Crown Graphic due to its lighter weight and lower cost. However, the traditional press camera was fairly rapidly supplanted by reflex and 35mm cameras as film quality improved.
   The Linhof does have a cam operated rangefinder and a very good variable optical finder. Cams must be matched to individual lenses. The last of the Graphics also had cam operated rangefinders.
   The older Kalart rangefinder, the most commonly found on Graphics, was very accurate when correctly adjusted.  Somewhere on the Graflex web site you will find an article by yours truly on how to adjust them. I decided long ago to re-write this but never go around to it.
    If you begin using a Graphic you will discover youself shouting "Just one more" and "More cheesecake".  Somehow built into the cameras.
    BTW, there is a story, probably apocraphal  about the Graflex SLR. Up to maybe 1930 the Graflex, usually a 5x7, was the most common press camera. At about this time press phtogs began to switch to Speed Graphics. The story is that a New York times photographer was killed covering an automobile race because he was on the track with his head in the finder hood and did not see an oncoming car; it killed him and the NYT banned the use of Graflex cameras. Might be true but the SG is a much easier camera to use and lighter so I think maybe it supplanted the Graflex for quite practical reasons.
   As to a choice between them, I think it depends on what you intend to use it for. If you want the movements and other studio camera features of the Linhof you probably should find a good view camera. Its like the difference between a M-B and a truck; if you want to haul stuff the truck will win every time.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx