[rollei_list] Re: SL66 & focussing screens

  • From: "Evan Dong" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ejdong@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:24:40 -0700

Hi Carlos,

I have an old Rolleiflex pamphlet that shows several of the Rollei screens
available. I revert back to the original Rolleiflex screens as mentioned in my

I went through the Beattie Screens, BrightScreens, Maxwell and even the newer
Hi D Screens. Of these screens only the original Beattie screens were able to
have that "snap to" contrast as the original Rolleiflex  plastic screens. For
the true ground glass screens, in daylight the "Snap-to" contrast was the best.
However in dim light condition, those screens were worthless.

Now I have heard from several users that the Mamiya RZ67 and RB67 screens, when
cut down, has the light gathering of the Hi D screen with better "Snap-to"
contrast.  Maybe I will try it out one day.

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:40 PM, CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Evan:
           I could read your post and saw the eBay auctions about
three or four focusing screens, including that one for the SL66 you
mentioned again. Rollei was the first manufacturer to design and to
make a "bright" focusing screen combining Ground Glass and Fresnel
lenses features in 1957 (if the memory serves me good), it was
considered a "hi-tech" focusing screen at the time and it became a
standard focusing screen for the TLR models with interchangeable
viewfinder  hood and interchangeable screens. Rolleiflex F and SL66
focusing screens are not compatible.
These are the original focusing screen sizes for Rolleiflex TLR and SLR cameras:
1) Rolleiflex Standard from 1932 to 1937 and
Rolleiflex 3.5 from 1937 to 1949: 57x63.7mm.-
2) Rolleiflex 3.5 and 2.8 from 1950 to 1956:
56.5x63.7mm.-
3) Rolleiflex with light meter and 2.8E from 1956 to
1959:  56.5x62.7mm
4) Rolleiflex TLR with interchangeable finder hood
till F Platin: 64x69x1.6mm (there are interesting
screens for these cameras including one with grid and
an enormous micro prisms central circle (Prochnow
Register 292/2 built from 1967 to 1984).-
5) SL66; SLX; 6000 series; GX/FX(tlr): 56x63mm (There
are a lot of original focusing screens models for
these cameras, including the Rollei High-D screen).