[rollei_list] Re: SL66: Light leak

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:53:42 -0400

Petr:

Does the light leak extend beyond the border of the negative as framed in the shutter? If so, that means it is unlikely to be a shutter problem. It could be a bad light seal in the back if it extends outside the negative area. This problem is pretty rare in the SL66 though with its brass light seals, compared to the Hasselblad with foam light seals.

Most light leak issues with medium format come from loose paper winding, but these are normally seen on the end of the roll.

Petr Dvorak wrote:

Hello,

My name is Petr and I am new to the Rollei world and to this list. I've been shooting with Exaktas, P-6 and Russian MF folders for a while; and recently I've succumbed to the magic of SL66.

I purchased a used SL-66 that shows a light leak in the first film I ran thru the camera. That's not a good sign but before I take any actions; I'd like to know your opinion where it may come from. A friend of mine on manual focus forum suggests that the leak may be caused by bad tightness of curtains when winding the shutter. Has anyone experienced such problem with SL66? A link to picture with leak is below. This leak appeared only once and in the middle of the film, the remaining eleven frames are good.

http://static.flickr.com/100/260321474_0f0e4a9c30.jpg

Thank you for you suggestions,
Petr