[rollei_list] Re: SCANNING MF

  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 09:25:15 -0500

Scantips is a really good site, and I "third" Mark's comments about the
learning curve involved with scanning. My perspective is that just as you
can't expect every negative to print perfectly on Grade 2 paper with an
enlarger exposure of 10 s at f/8, you can't expect every negative to scan
well without adjustments. Scans will ALWAYS require contrast and levels
adjustments to look their best.
I use an Epson 4490 flatbed and a Minolta Scan Dual II for 35mm. In my own
experience, I've found that the Epson scanning software, when used in
"Professional" mode, does a good enough job that I don't need Vuescan. The
Minolta software for the Scan Dual was another story altogether, and when I
still used a lot of 35mm film I relied very heavily on Vuescan.

Also, my understanding is that the only difference between the Epson 4490
and the Epson 4990 is that the latter can accept larger film formats than
the former (which only takes negs up to 6-cm wide).  I believe the light
source and mechanics are the same.

Jordan
www.photosensitive.ca

Jordan Wosnick