[rollei_list] Re: Run Over By A Bus?

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 07:13:56 -0700

On Saturday, September 08, 2007, at 10:59PM, "Marc James Small"
<marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>At 08:31 PM 9/8/2007, Laurence Cuffe wrote:
> >
> >Yup, its not just weight, its moment of inertia.
> > I once had an off brand 300mm lens which I often shot hand held with
> >a x2 tele-converter The optics were a very simple design and the lens
> >was long. I got some excellent results. Then after that lens got run
> >over by a bus, I switched to a 500mm mirror lens, which was both
> >physically and optically shorter, though heavier. My results with that
> >were much more prone to camera shake.
>
>Come, Larry:  enquiring minds want to know!  Just
>did this lens "get run over by a bus"?  I mean,
>really now!  I have drop-tested a couple of Leica
>M's over the years (no harm other than dings) and
>even managed to do the same with my Questar 3.5
>thanks to the vagueries of those blasted
>hexagonal mounting plates on the larger
>Manifrotto/Bogen tripods, but I cannot image how
>someone would lose a lens to a bus?  On a bus perhaps, but run over by a bus?
>
>Tell us!  We are all agog with curiosity.

Well I've certainly drop tested a lot of gear in my time, and now prefer to buy
it pre-battered as I fell less
guilty that way. However, in this case it got busted out of the goodness of my
heart! I was helping to push a bus out of the mud at a pop festival
and the driver rolled back to get another run at it, rolling over a bag which
had the lens in it in the process.

At certain events you just have to consider gear as another consumable.

While were at it where's a good place to get a drop tested nikon f5 and an 85mm
1.8 sorted out? I was going to try KEH, but has anyone any other
ideas?
All the best
Larry