[rollei_list] Re: Rolliecord II screen

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:56:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "karqvlsg" <sextant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:10 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolliecord II screen

The thing has never been cleaned while in my ownership, and it does look dusty when I look back through the viewing lens. What is best to dust it with? I fear to touch the mirror with anything in case the silvering is fragile.

The Chinese 'copies' often have the focus magnifier incorporated in a square flap which blocks light from reaching the screen. That's one welcome 'improvement'. I saw in a Seagull 4B-1. I have not had the chance to look at and try its brothers and see if older 'cords were worse and the later models saw an improvement in the viewing system.

If you meant the mirror a little dust won't hurt it. However, you can blow it off with a hand syrenge or, with some care, canned air. The mirror surfaces are not _that_ delicate. Unless its in very poor condition or was not made right the silvering will not flake off. Usually silvered mirrors are coated with a lacquer to protect the silver from oxidizing. The lacquer can become yellow with age and will sometimes come off in areas allowing the silver underneath to oxidize. When the lacquer is yellowed it can be removed and replaced by spraying. I suspect a modern plastic spray would last forever. If the silver had oxidized the mirror probably needs to be re-silvered or aluminized. Aluminized surfaces do not have quite as high a reflectivity in the visible range but are not attacked by polutants and have a very long life without any surface treatment.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA