[rollei_list] Re: Rollie black & white film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 16:29:46 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:01 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rollie black & white film

I haven't used the R3 but I have used the Rollei 25. It probably WILL be a problem for a lab in that these appear to be speciality films that weren't forumated to use D76, etc. I just ordered the Rollei slow film developer. I
think that you should probably develop the stuff yourself.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/

If I remember correctly R3 is a high contrast stock intended for microfilming which must be developed in a special very low contrst developer for pictorial purposes. This is much like the now discontinued Kodak Technical Pan which was used with a special Kodak developer called Technidol. It is quite possible to mix such developers at home. One of the first is called POTA and is essentially Phenidone and Sodium Sulfite. There are more elaborate formulas. These films in combination with the special developer deliver extremely fine grain and good resolution. However, being inherently high contrast they are fussy about development and are very slow. I suggest that if you want extemely fine grain and high resolution that you try Kodak 100T-Max and either Kodak Microdol-X or Ilford Perceptol both to be used full strength. The resulting film speed will be about EI-50 with normal contrast and no special fussiness in processing. The developer can be saved and used for 2 rolls of 120 with a small increase in development time for the second roll. For an 8oz tank and a 36 exposure roll of 35mm film I would not re-use the developer although it might be satisfactory for a second roll. The T-Max data sheets have times for Microdol-X and the instruction sheet for Perceptol has times for T-Max. You should be able to get similar results from Ilford Delta 100 or Fuji Acros.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx