[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiwide experts, how do I take the front faceplate off?

  • From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: todd belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:59:50 -0400

Nailed it !!!!

The shutter adjustment is much much better. And the aperture adjustment is smooth.

Keys to success and removing the faceplate:

- the viewing lens needs to be removed before taking the faceplate off. Back off the three set screws that hold the viewing lens assembly on. Then remove the bayonet rings.

- carefully mark and measure where the viewing lens is, before removing it. But, I think I'll be collimating the viewing lens with the taking lens anyway.

- unscrew the viewing lens

- with the viewing lens removed, the faceplate can now be removed.

My main task was to free up the movement of the shutter adjustment and aperture adjustment, which was very very stiff. I was guessing that it was dried lubricant. I think now that it was not dried lubricant but a bent front plate.

The key to the binding seems to be installing the correct number of washers between the faceplate and the lens board, to ensure flatness and free movement of the mechanism. It took a bunch of trial and iterations, but I finally got it. Now the movement is smooth, and the self timer runs too (as it is sensitive to flexing and binding of the faceplate).

Yes, I"m doing a Rolleiwide happy dance.

The focus collimation should be a piece of cake.

Vick