[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiwide experts, how do I take the front faceplate off?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 07:57:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vick Ko" <vick.ko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:57 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleiwide experts, how do I take the
front faceplate off?

Rolleiwide experts, how do I take the front faceplate off?

So far:

1.  three screws and threaded stud (that is at the self
timer) is removed
2.  lens bayonets removed, and set screws (6) at the two
lens tubes are backed off
3.  self timer lever is now fully loose.
4.  removing the two screws that are above and below the
self timer lever does not seem to make any difference.

The front faceplate still won't come off.  It is very
loose but something is blocking it from being removed.

On a worrisome note, the viewing lens assembly is loose
and is easily turned.  I do see alignment marks scratched
into the surrounding flange and I do hope that it is at
proper adjustment to those marks.  But considering that I
found the focusing screen upside-down yesterday, I am not
hopeful.

thanks all

Vick
---

    If the camera is built like a standard Rolleiflex the
front panel is held in place by several screws under the
leather covering. You have to partially peel away the
covering to get to the screws. Depending on the model it may
be necessary to remove the collar around the flash connector
and on older models one must also remove the self-timer
lever. Again depending on the model there are other knobs
that must be removed to release the cover.
    On a standard Rolleiflex the viewing lens is locked by
either a set screw or a rotating compression collar. If the
lens turns the lock is not fastened. That makes me
suspicious of the camera's history since these things do not
come loose by themselves.
    You may have to get the camera to a competent repair
tech to get it adjusted. Its also possible the infinity
setting is wrong. The finder lens is adjusted to get it
co-incident with the taking lens but if its loose I would
want to investigate if the taking lens is adjusted right.
The infinity stop is part of the focusing mechanism. The
lock on most cameras is a collet around the shaft to the
focus knob but you must have a method of setting infinity
focus at the film plane.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles