[rollei_list] Re: [Rollei-user] OT: Contax questions/parts wanted (FS)

  • From: Dwight Primiano <dprimiano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei Users <rollei-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rollei Users <rollei-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 15:16:00 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

If I'm working with 35mm film, it's Leica glass. While many of the older lenses
offer wonderful and different image qualities, I must confess that I have been
fully seduced by Leica's aspherical designs.  The 90mm f2 Apo Aspherical lens
is one of the most outstanding lenses I have ever used.  An image made at f2
has a curtain of suspended sharpness that floats within the image in a manner
that no other lens, at least in my own experience, can create. The 35mm
aspherical is truly magnificent. The Contact lenses render beautiful images
that are sweet but seem to all feel the same, as if they were cast from the
same mold regardless of the lighting or subject; they always leave evidence
that the image was taken with a Contact lens.  The Leica aspherical lenses
disappear from the image chain.  The photographer’s vision is rendered, naked
and uneditorialized.  I truly believe that these aspherical designs from Leica
represent the apex in 35mm film lens design.  Unfortunately, this is reflected
in the pricing.

Be well,
Dwight