[rollei_list] Re: Rolleis and Mountains

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:33:30 -0400

At 10:25 PM 4/26/2011, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Most (if not all) current Canon DSRL models and DSRL cameras in
>general are metal made, not plastic made.
>As I wrote previously, an extra effort and attention is required  to
>keep the right batteries in working conditions under severe cold
>conditions, even for this case you can't be 100% sure if the batteries
>won't have a failure suddenly.
>According the 1974  Rollei factory manual and older manuals, Rollei
>cameras were lubricated and adjusted from factory with special low
>temperature grease and did not require special preparation for the
>Artic or the Antarctic.

Carlos

I have used late-model all-electronic Canon film SLR and digital SLR cameras -- I currently use a Canon EOS 500D as my standard camera. You are absolutely correct about batteries. When shooting in ambient temperatures below 40 deg F (+2 deg C), battery failure will occur whenever the batteries fall to that temperature, so you have to keep a couple of spare battery packs inside your clothing and switch them out every half hour or so. Modern photogrammetric cameras as used in cartography avoid this problem by having special warming circuits to keep the batteries warm.

There are mountain-climbers and there are mountain-climbers. You still do see a lot of mechanical cameras on the really high peaks where ambient temperatures rarely approach freezing (the North Face of Mount Everest in 1924 and 1999 were exceptions as they had daytime highs both years of around 65 deg F (+19 deg C or so), but both years were remarkable for their clement temperatures and late Monsoons.

On lower mountains, such as the Alps, a standard plastic digital camera would probably do just fine but I would not want to rely on such on, say, K-2.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!