[rollei_list] Re: Rolleinar 3 poll

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 18:10:45 -0500

> Mark, I'd like know if I wrote that Avedon and Penn used Rollei TLR
> cameras, BTW they used other cameras, but their more famous
> photographs were taken with Rollei TLR and if you don't recall the
> photographs I'll mention them for my next post.-
>
> Carlos

I agree both are known for Rolleiflex use and a huge body of their work was
Rolleiflex.
Coincidently both in their latter years seemed to spurn all other cameras
expect for the view camera. Sheet film.
8x10 that is.
Avedon grabbed his Rolleiflexes to shoot the fall of the Iron curtain. That
may have been the last time he touched one from all I can tell.
Other than that past the age of 60 both these guys were shooting 8x10 with
their many assistants feeding the camera and dealing with it. They seemed to
have no more use for roll film.
Coincidently both these guys are at the top of my list of favorite
photographers.
View cameras are an elegant way to make pictures.
You wonder why all the fuss later to come up with all kinds of gadgets and
gizmos. I guess the real problems came when they wanted to take it off the
tripod.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner