[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimot und Prototyp 178

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:30:27 -0700

Marc,

I really agree with your analogy and contrast of Mini-Peterbilt.as respect to the Mamiya vs Rollei I tried several versions of the Mam, but refused to buy any.

BTW, what was wrong with the Proto 178 of F&H?  I would have bought the
outfit in a heartbeat if it were offered. Maybe the 60mm lens was not short
enough, a 50 would have been better.  The 135mm did not focus close enough.
That is why I gave up on the Tele-Rollei. It needed a very expensive pair of
auxiliary lenses for any portrait work.

Personally, rather than having three Rolleis, I opted for a H'blad with a few lenses.
The SWC is not bad either.

And to all "youse guys"-- Please keep it civil.

Jerry (Stagger Wing Beechcraft) Lehrer

Marc James Small wrote:
At 02:25 PM 4/12/2010, Austin Franklin wrote:

>Well, just like the Hasselblad vs Rollei discussion in sales we had a short >while ago, where the Mamiya was brought up as being a significant factor for
>Rollei sales decline...if there were no Mamiya, what other options would
>someone have had at that time?
>
>If there were two restaurants next to each other, and the only restaurants >within a 50 mile radius, though you couldn't "prove" that one being there >had anything to do with a decrease in the other's sales (as they both opened
>at the same time), it only stands to reason they did.
>
>Though I agree, your Mini-Cooper/Peterbuilt is an extreme exaggeration of
>little relevance.  The Rollei and the Mamiya were far closer in use and
>function than a Mini-Cooper/Peterbuilt are.

Austin

Two questions.

First, specifically set out the sales figures for Rolleiflex and Mamiya TLR's for the relevant periods, say, from 1950 to 1980. And please identify your sources. For once, the Wikipedia entries are of no help at all.

Second, specifically identify the years to which you are referring. When was the Mamiyaflex introduced? When did these cameras start selling well? I do not want us to fall into the trap of comparing 1958 Rolleiflex sales figures with 1978 Mamiya sales figures.

Third, can you produce one bit of evidence that anyone ever bought a Mamiya camera after considering the purchase of a Rolleiflex TLR? I would be curious -- the Peterbilt/Mini-Cooper analogy is dead on target, as anyone can attest who has ever used a Mamiya TLR. (I have: I had a complete Mamiya rig back in the early 1990's for a couple of years.) The Mamiya is a Tripod Queen, bluntly put. Fine lenses, decent mechanicals, but heavy and clunky in use. I just cannot imagine a photo-journalist picking up a Mamiya and working a crowd scene. May have happened, but I have never heard of this.

We really do need to keep the discussion focused on facts so far as we can.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!