[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimot

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:51:04 -0400

At 10:42 PM 4/8/2010, Peter K. wrote:
My problem is you would have to have electricity in those dangerous areas. Something that is hardly doable.

Very much to the contrary. The Linde artificial sapphire plant has electricity all over the place but most of it is not open to humans when in operation due to heat and toxic fumes. At the very time F&H was developing the Rolleimot, Questar began marketing their 3.5 telescope as a "distant microscope" for such applications and pretty much took over the field in short order. (My Questar is a Quartz model purchased for such an application by the old US Army Frankfort Arsenal in Philadelphia in 1962. My late friend, Charlie Barringer, purchased it in 1990 when Frankfort was closed and sold it to me in 1994. It is a most wonderful instrument.)

There are many industrial and scientific facilities which do not lend themselves to human observers. The Rolleimot made sense. It just was not the most elegant solution available at the time. Incidentally, Dan Goldberg in New York worked with Leitz to produce a very similar remote control power-winder for the M4 which was rather successful in the US for a few years. And Robot in Germany made remote-control spring-loaded cameras for surveillance uses, some of which were used for industrial observations in dangerous areas.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  <he grins>

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!