[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimot

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:12:49 +0100

John

Carlos,

As they say in the Lion King movie - 'Hakuna Matata'.  If it jammed up
200 metres away then you would just have to go and tickle the lion under
the chin while you fixed it - no worries. ;-))

I have found the reference to testing...

Prochnow's booklet - 'Rolleiflex SL66, the Story of a Successful Camera
System' - Let me know off list if you would like a PDF copy.

On P14 - "The endurance tests lasted several days. ...simultaneous
testing of a number of cameras (SL66) until something eventually broke.
For the twin lens, we had developed the 'Rolleimot', a motor designed to
provide film advance and shutter release... That gave us the idea of
using this device for the endurance tests. Ten Rolleimot units were
taken from stock and put to work."

So they had been developed for the TLRs and adapted to test the SL66
cameras because they had a number of Rolleimots in stock which were not
selling. I knew I'd read something about testing cameras somewhere but
it wasn't the TLRs.

John