[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimarin (was Funny Googles...)

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:56:12 -0700

At 08:41 PM 10/20/2005, Doug Shea wrote:

Don,

It would be great to dive with a club. I dove and photographed at the Channel Islands which was very nice (sort of your neighborhood) and made a couple trips to Cozumel, too. They were combined with trips to Chichen Itza which was interesting; they have done some diving recently in the sacrificial pools there � that would be interesting (or certainly different). Back on topic here: I can only imagine what those beautiful 6x6�s look like coming out of a Rolleimarin. I always keep my eye open for an SL66 housing; they�re out there and one will come around one of these days.

Doug

There are some plastic housings on the market, made right here in San Diego I think, but I wouldn't trust such a fine camera to those housings, so I won't give you the company name on list.

Regarding clubs, our Underwater Photographic Society still exists, but in much reduced form than it did 10 or more years back. In the early years we used to put on a two-night film festival filling 3,000 seats in our Civic Auditorium, with different shows each night. We had some club presentations, and of course presentations by world famous people, including the Costeau Family, among others. The big shows went on for at least 19 years, but then we all know that U/W photography became less exciting to the public, and frankly, to me.

I agree that SL66 U/W shots would be superb. The best shots I got with the Rolleimarin were with the close-up adapters, just superb sharpness and contrast. I would think that any SL66 housing wouldn't have the capability of swinging a lens adapter or filter in and out while diving, however you would have the choice of using a wide-angle lens and going close up with the SL66.

During the past 15 years, dome ports have become standard, and as it turns out, it's not difficult to get a good combination of port radius and lens focal length, much to my surprise. Chet Tussey sort of pioneered dome ports, in conjunction with Nikon. He has closed Tussey Underwater but you can find his housings on Google and eBay. He lives just over the hill in a super sea-cliff house with a wonderful view of the sunset.

Regarding domed ports, I suspect that Richard and I would take the same position I did with Chet, that matching a lens and dome would be difficult and would create noticeable distortion if not perfect. Turns out to be not so hard. Chet did it experimentally and turned out some great products. Richard??

Don Williams La Jolla, CA