[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimagic

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

I sold my Rolleimagic I in mint condition (several photographs about it are
visible in one of my blogs)to buy a Rolleimagic II, I lost the auction  and
then I bought the Rolleicord IV. Despite the front cell focusing, the Xenar in
that 'Magic 1 was a terrific lens, very sharp, I couldn't tell the diffeence
regarding the Xenar in the 'cord IV (and that is a sharp lens really).
My Magic worked very fine and the lightmeter was very exact, but I wished more
control on the DOF sometimes and then the 'Magic II, however I still regret my
decision about to sell the camera.
Rolleimagic I and II are the only normal focal length Rolleis TLR with a four
elements viewing lens, they are Xenar lenses, it was cheaper to use identical
lenses as taking and viewing lenses than to develop a new three elements
Heidosmat with front element focusing.
For the Rollei TLR cameras purists, the Rolleimagic is not a true Rollei TLR
and they are right from certain points of view, but it's an excellent camera
for its purpose and took several mechanical parts from the Rolleiflex T; Claus
Prochnow was one of the Rolleimagic I and II main designer; he says in the
Report II Rolleimagics are "eccentric, extravagant" (ausgefallenen)Rolleis.

Carlos