[rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin musing

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:14:31 -0800

On Nov 17, 2009, at 08:23, Robert Lilley wrote:

This discussion of alternative Rolleiflex formats has me thinking of the 6x9 sheet film backs. Sheet film doesn't require transport like the Rolleikin and as such it is just a matter of creating various masks for the film chamber and viewing screen. Alas, to my knowledge, 6x9 sheet film is no longer available. I suppose one could cut 9x12 Efke sheets down but it seems a waste especially when you consider that just a portion of the 6x9 sheet will be exposed. I guess there was always this waste factor using the sheet film backs.

I like using masks like the Rolleikin on the view finder. I find it very easy to compose the picture as the entire format is centered within the the view finder like a picture on a wall . I often shoot 6x9 in a roll film back and 9x12 sheets on my 4x5 for this same reason. For me picture making has always been a view finder thing.

Rob

The sheet back is very interesting in theory and I have set myself up to use it with 12 holders and little processing trays. It is a simple matter to cut the film down from 5x7 with no waste. It is a nice set up in the end to have the little 6x6 image on one end of the rectangular piece of film giving you about an inch of border on one side for handling. You can avoid touching the image area when loading or processing the film. I was even able to attach the sheet film back to the 2.8FX by taking off the new style strap hanger and attaching the old style.

The problem I have with the system is light leaking. The holders leak and the back leaks. I bought 4 different sets and one was even unopened unused and still the red velvet on the back let in a bunch of light and fogged my film. If one can figure out a system and figure out how to stop the light leaks it is great to be able to see the image projected on the ground glass on the back and to have perfectly flat film and to be able to know exactly what you are shooting with the Rolleinars.

Dennis