[rollei_list] Re: ...Rolleikin

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:58:34 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:41 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: ...Rolleikin

BTW Richard, your detailed explanation about the Rolleikin working is very interesting, I always thought and think it's a very ingenious accesory. I only use it with the 2.8C because I have the "Rolleikin C" set dedicated to cameras with 35mm film counter from factory like the 2.8 C,D,E and firsts Tele-Rolleiflexes and then it does not include the film counter knob. I'm thinking about to buy a set with this
counter to use with the 3.5F and 'cord IV.
According "The Practical Accesories" booklet, Rolleiflex above sn 1100000 and Rolleicord above sn 1137000 can use the Rolleikin 2 versions that include the double picture size back. Firsts cameras above the mentioned numbers were still provided with the one size picture back, but they can receive the double size back to work with the Rolleikin 2. Earlier cameras can use the Rolleikin 1 with the
special back.

Carlos

Rollei sold a replacement back for older cameras so that the Rolleikin could be used with them. This is not to be confused with the first version of the Rolleikin which came with a replacement back. I've forgotten the details. The Rolleikin is a very ingenious and elegant device. Its simple and reliable and easy to install. The problem when buying a Rolleikin is that most of the kits are missing the counter knob and those with it are expensive. I was lucky to find a Rolleicord IV which already had the knob on it. In fact the fellow I bought it from wanted the knob back! I have a Rolleikin for this camera and one for my 2.8E which came with the knob from the factory. One must be careful in composing when using the Rolleikin, at least on cameras like mine the parallax correction is no longer effective. Rollei compensates for this by limiting the area shown by the finder mask to one that insures that everything visible on the ground glass will appear on the film but precise vertical composition is not possible. The same for the sports finder mask but those are not expected to be precise to begin with. I think in cameras with removable hoods that the accessory mask moves with the parallax compensator. BTW, the wedge idea will not work with 220 film because the film runs pretty much the full width of the rollers. There is probably another way to inactivate the roller but I've not figured out how to do it.

A note on early color film: Kodachrome and Agfacolor became available for 35mm cameras sometime in the late 1930s. Kodachrome was initially available only in 16mm motion picture film (1935) but the method of processing it was changed about a year later and other sizes began to be available. The name Kodachrome was used earlier for another type of film. Agfacolor was also a recycled name. The mulilayer film was also released sometime in the late 1930s. It was a much more sophisticated film than Kodachrome but the color quality was not as good as Kodachrome. Agfacolor was a "modern" color film in that the "couplers" or dye precursors were incorporated in the emulsions. Agfa used very long chain molecules attached to the dye molecules to prevent their wandering in the emulsion. Kodak had problems with accomplishing this so that Kodachrome had three plain B&W emulsions with the couplers in the processing solutions. This resulted in a very complex pocessing system where Agfacolor was no more complex than modern films. Kodak eventually found another method of sequestering the couplers; the use of encapsulating them in an oily resin. The color developer had alcohol or other solvent in it to allow access of the developer to the dye couplers. Kodak used this method for Kodacolor and later for Ektacolor and Ektachrome. Agfa and others used the Agfa system and both types of films were on the market for many years. I now can't remember which system survives but think its the Kodak system. Another BTW, until Ektacolor and Ektachrome were released in the late 1940's Kodak made Kodachrome in sheet film up to 11x14. Kodak had begun to make special versions of Kodachrome for duplicating purposes by the late 1940s and some was used by Technicolor for camera originals where the big color separation cameras were either too big or too slow although late Technicolor was about as fast as Kodachrome, about equivalent to ISO 10. The main difference in these special films was contrast. Normal Kodachrome is quite high in contrast, intended for direct viewing or projection, the special version for duplicating was much lower in contrast.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA