[rollei_list] Re: Rolleigrid vs. Maxwell -- initial impressions.

  • From: chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 00:34:19 +0100

interested to hear about some of the earlier screens being 'snappier' to
focus than others. From my limited personal experience and a lot of
web-trawling I'm beginning to get the impression that brightness does not
always equate to ease of focus. I have an FX and its brighter than my 35mm
OM1 but there is no comparison in the snap particularly outside the centre
zone. On the OM there is just a matte surface outside the centre whereas on
the my 'flex' those record grooves don't seem to help a bit. In fact I would
go to say its virtually unfocussable without the prism/split aids.
Chat

On 6/6/06, Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is why I prefer the beattie screen over the Maxwell. I have used a rolleigrid on the 2.8 C and agree with you relative to a comparison with the maxwell, but feel the beattie is an improvement over the rolleigrid both in terms of brightness and ease of focus. The beattie snaps into focus for me; the maxwell does not...

Eric Goldstein

On 6/6/06, SandersM@xxxxxxx <SandersM@xxxxxxx> wrote: > Having disturbed the list with my earlier email in search of a Rolleigrid, I > thought I should provide an update. I found my old Rolleigrid yesterday and > installed it in my 2.8C. Now, I also have a Maxwell screen in my 3.5E, so, > at last, I am able to compare the two side-by-side. > > My initial impressions give the nod to the Rolleigrid. It is not quite as > bright as the Maxwell screen, but it is plenty bright to compose with, all > the way out to the corners. To my surprise, I found it a bit easier to > focus the 2.8C with the Rolleigrid, compared to focusing the 3.5E with the > Maxwell screen. I do not mean to speak unkindly of the Maxwell screen -- I > have used it for many years in my 3.5E and think highly of it, and I use a > Maxwell screen in my view camera. But at first glance I do prefer the > Rolleigrid. > > Sanders McNew > www.mcnew.net --- Rollei List