[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex photo among the best- 2010

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:37:19 +0000

The point that digital is cheap per shot and so one can take many frames at
no extra cost is not really a valid reason when comparing it to film, in
fact the reverse is true...

Having been recently looking through a 'How to' Photoshop book again, as far
as digital is concerned it is so easy to clone eyes for the 'blinking bride'
or remove the telegraph pole growing from a head or the taxicab in front of
the church. So really with digital, only a few shots ARE necessary... but
with film, on the other hand, it is not (was not) easy to make these
corrections and so more shots would be a 'safer' option. This surely shows
that photographers from the analogue era were more skillful at 'timing' and
'seeing' the shots than those in the digital era. Of course a Rolleiflex TLR
or Leica did not suffer from mirror black-out like SLRs, so the photographer
could actually see what he had captured. Try and do that with a digital
camera without viewfinder on a sunny day... Have to take 4Mb of shots per
setup just to make sure just one shot does comes out...

John