[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex image for C&C

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:02:37 -0400

Diego,

I use a 2.8D Xenotar. I have not experienced the vignetting in the corners that your photograph exhibits.

With regard to the perceived softness, this is really the wrong kind of subject to determine lens sharpness with. Foliage will move with even a gentle breeze, causing it to look slightly blurred in the negative. Try an indoor, relatively solid subject, with the camera on a good tripod and use a cable release.

Also bear in mind that at f/2.8 on an 80mm lens, the depth of field is sufficiently narrow that you must focus very carefully to assure optimal results, especially with a close subject such as this one. In my experience, that means using the pop-up magnifier instead of relying on using just the bare ground-glass, especially at waist- level. I cannot focus accurately enough without the magnifier for any aperture below f/8 with my Rolleis.

Aesthetically, I like your photo although I would prefer a horizontal horizon. Tilted horizons are a pet peeve of mine.

Best regards,
Aaron

On Aug 14, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Diego Sevilla Ruiz wrote:

Dear all:

        I've been following the group for some time, sending some
answers/questions, and now I would like you to comment on this one I got
with a Rolleiflex 2.8E (Xenotar):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsevilla/2736914534/

(You can see it bigger if you push the "loupe" above the image.

        Also, I have two questions regarding the Xenotar. I haven't had
enough time to test it roughfully, but it seems to me that this copy of
the Xenotar 2.8 is a little bit soft. I've seen the MTF curves and
resolution data for this lens, and it seems that a f/2.8 is a little bit soft, but it gets much better at f/4. It would be nice if you could look
at the image in a bigger resolution and tell me if what you see is
normal with a Xenotar wide open. (I scanned it using an Epson 4990
photo).

        Also, the image was a little bit overexposed, so I edited the
levels to darken it. I got that strong fall-off on corners. Again, is
that normal on the Xenotar wide open?

        I'm sorry I don't have many more samples to check, but currently
my time is very limited.

        Regards and thanks in advance,
        diego.

--
Diego Sevilla Ruiz -- http://ditec.um.es/~dsevilla/ -- dsevilla@xxxxx _.___ Dep. Ingeniería y Tecnología de Computadores, Facultad de Informática D|TEC
Univ.de Murcia,Campus Espinardo,30080 Murcia (SPAIN),Tel.+34968367571