[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex for Artists

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:24:04 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marvin Wallace" <Marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:07 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex for Artists

Weston, Adams and Minor White, were all superb technicians and artists, who made fine prints. How they were able to achieve this without being fine technicians and printers is beyond me(according to some posts). Like anything else there will always be isolated cases of people who defy the rule, but in general a fine printmaker needs to be a fine technician.
Marvin.

I can't speak to the others but I've seen a great number of original Weston prints and some of them are not too good. This may have been due to his poverty as much as anything. He got a lot of technical help from Adams and others over the years. He knew what a good negative and print looked like but I think he had to work pretty hard to get them. Also keep in mind that really usable exposure meters did not exist until well into the 1930s and were pretty expensive. Extinction meters, which rely on the sensitivity of the eye are pretty much useless since the eye is constantly adapting and changing its sensitivity. The very early meters that relyed on printing out paper actually measured light intensity so were better than extinction meters but still had a too many uncontrolled variables to be really reliable. I don't know what Weston relied on for his exposures, the most accurate means before the advent of photo-electric meters were, surprizingly, exposure charts and he may have used one.
    In terms of an artistic eye its hard to match Weston.

Los Angeles, CA, USA