[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex "a la carte"

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:51:46 -0300

2010/11/29 John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> From what I have heard, to buy a new 2.8FX, to your own colour spec, is
> $6000 or more (£5000). This seems quite good value....

Hi John:
I really like the grey one and the almost white one, beautiful cameras IMO.
These FX cameras are  2.8 GX cameras second model with the E and F and
T strap holders and a few others aesthetic differences.
I was reading in the Report IV (or trying to do it) that the GX second
model was necessary to adapt the Seiko  Japanese shutter to the
camera, it has an inversed sequence for shutter speeds and f stops
regarding the Compur an a few and slight internal changes were made to
adapt it. Prochnow explains that the TLR production had always
increasing costs and the Compur shutter became expensive too much,
Rollei found Copal 0 and Seiko 0 as suitable and cheaper replacements,
they used the Compur sizes and it was not so difficult to adapt them
to the camera, they were also known for several users.

Talking about the GX  2th model, he also enlarges the explanation for
the "automat" film mechanism elimination (he writes during the GX
development description that several pro photographers forgot to pass
the film between the rollers and the risk about new thinner materials
for the film feeler mechanism working) saying this mechanism was
difficult and expensive too much to manufacture, adopting the
Rolleicord system used for the T afterwards they obtained a cheaper
and safer film advance system, "a few 2.8F's friends" did not like the
change initially, but it became evident the Rolleicord system was
safer regarding the thinner film materials.

During 1995 were produced 1030 TLR units, 900 "75th anniversary" model
with the second GX model features (f.e. new battery placement and 6000
series strap holders) but still with the Compur shutter and 130 units
showing the GX first model external features but with the new Japanese
Seiko 0 shutter, these were "intermediate" models.