[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex T with Planar?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:43:19 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:18 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex T with Planar?

The Rolleiflex 3.5B had a Tessar and was Bay 1; The Rolleiflex 3.5C had a Planar and was Bay 2 but the outer Bayonets on this all but touched each other and the knurled wheels too, making changing EV difficult. After that F&H increased the lens spacing to compensate for the larger Bay 2 mounts. There are two Mutars for the 3.5 cameras for that reason. Off hand I cannot remember if it is about 1mm or 2mm difference.

If the Planar has to be Bay 2, possibly because of front element diameter, then the whole front of the 'T' would have to be rebuilt around a 3.5 Bay 2 front plate. What the lens spacing is on a 'T' I do not know; however, this camera has a 'T' front plate which looks unmodified.

John

I don't think you could change the lens spacing without changing the whole frame. Its a matter of the optical center of the two lenses, both must be centered on their respective image planes, i.e., the film and the finder ground glass, you can't just move the lenses. It _might_ be possible to change a Planar for a Tessar, provided you can get the back focus right and a bunch of other things. Its beyond me why anyone would want to do this other than perhaps cobbling a camera together from damaged ones.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles