[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex SL 35M and Rolleinar 3,5/200mm

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:06:42 -0400

At 04:48 PM 9/8/2007, Jim Brick wrote:
>Being a long time match shooter, I find that I can hand hold heavy
>cameras and lenses far more steady than light equipment. Let out half
>a breath, then release the shutter in between heart beats.

Hmm. I am on Jim's side on this one: a decently heavy rifle is easier for me to shoot accurately than is a light one. Part of this may well be technique: I was trained to shoot with match rifles. I can shoot accurately with lighter rifles but it is more work and takes more concentration.

I generally shoot with a Rolleiflex TLR by bracing the strap against my neck and pulling down on it. But for straight hand-held cameras, I find heavier cameras easier to shoot accurately than I do lighter ones.

Tripods? I don't need no steenkin' tripod, though I use them on occasion with VERY long lenses. But a rig such as a 4/300 Makro-Zoomatar on a Rolleiflex SL35E is a happy handheld mix.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!