[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:34:29 -0500

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not sure if S stands for Singapore or Sonnar.

According to the sources I've read, it stands for Sonnar. Rollei then
introduced the 35 T which supposedly stood for Tessar.

> My Rollei 35 is a Rollei 35 with 3.5 Tessar one of the very first made and
> made in sunny Germany. Its just the one which was sitting there when I went
> into a Portland repair place to pick up something and there it was for sale.

Again, supposedly, it took Rollei a couple of years to get UV
protection into these lenses via the cement they used for the rear
element. I do not know how reliable this information is.

> People talk about the Sonnar as the beginning and ending of life but I
> remember when the camera came out and everyone was interested in shooting
> with THIS LENS.

I love shooting my 35 German... it has a very interesting color
palette and a unique look. Though a front cell focuser, I've projected
chromes from this camera to alarming multiples and they seem to hold
up well. It is not the easiest camera to hold steady however as the
shutter release takes some pressure...

In contrast, the 35S's I've shot have lower contrast, which is not
necessarily a bad thing. The 38/2.8 Sonnar on my T2 Contax is
ridiculously contrasty... too much so for my taste. The 35S Sonnar is
pretty clearly better corrected than the 35 German Tessar. Does not
mean it is a "better" lens... all depends what you like.

> Its a life support system for a 35mm cartridge but also like a Hassy super
> wide that classic German chunk of glass.

I have many different Tessars and they are classics and each have a
character of their own...

Eric Goldstein