[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 35 SL lenses QBM IV (3-Pin)

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 07:40:38 -0300

2010/8/2 James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@xxxxxxx>:
> I have searched the web and have been unable to find a source of information
> like this one for Nikon:
>
> http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html
>
> based on the lens serial number.

There is no a similar published source for Rollei QBM lenses (up to I
know), they were made in Germany, Japan and Singapore, several of them
by Rollei Optical Co. in Singapore under license, others by Rollei
Germany under Zeiss and Mamiya and Schneider and others Japanese
manufacturers license (QBM IV specially). Registers could still exist
somewhere at Singapore and /or Rollei Germany and Zeiss Oberkochen,
Schneider and at Japanese manufacturers registers that made Rolleinar
lenses, perhaps Rollei had a central register for the different lenses
serial numbers.

> Does anyone have suggestion on how to tell a QBM IV lens without actually
> having it in hand?  I can sometimes tell by looking at photographs of
> smaller aperture lenses but it doesn't seem to work with f/1.8 lenses.  Do I
> understand correctly that any f/1.4 lens with the #2 pin will work?

III and IV look similar physically, the difference is that QBM IV has
a step that works like electric contact with different codes according
the lens widest aperture, the code is read by 2000 and 3000 cameras to
display the automatic metering selected aperture. You can distinguish
QBM I and II regarding III and IV by the different material and
pattern for the focusing ring cover, I and II has aluminium with
parallel bands, III and IV a simil rubber or rubber cover with little
squares as pattern.
Rollei Planar 1,4/50 was made from QBM I to IV, 2000 and 3000 cameras
can work with any QBM lens and even with M-42 adapters, info in the
camera varies according QBM type, see your camera instructions manual
for details.

> I would presume that serial number data exists.  Is there somewhere that we
> could obtain it?

Answered above according my current knowledge.

> Alternatively, we might be able to start a data base using the serial
> numbers of lenses that list members have.  That is if you have a lens and
> know for certain if it is QBM III or QBM IV and could provide the lens info
> and serial number, it might be some help.

I have a Rolleinar zoom (Tokina) 4/80-200 SN 6106749 and a Rolleinar
prime (Mamiya) 3,5/200 SN 7700283 both MC Made in Japan; according
Prochnow's Rollei Report IV both lenses were made for the QBM IV only,
I could add that both QBM bayonets are identical, however I have a SL
35M and you need a 2000 or 3001 or 3003 camera to verify if they work
like QBM IV.

> In this case, if someone that has a 2000 or 3000 series Rolleiflex and a
> Rollei Planar 1,8/50 that you know to be QBM III or QBM IV and could post
> the serial number, it would be a help with trying to purchase one on eBay.

Answered above, I don't have those cameras and I don't have a Rollei Planar.