[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 35 SL lenses QBM IV (3-Pin)

  • From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:27:11 -0700

On 08/02/10 19:42, Marc James Small wrote:
At 10:34 PM 8/2/2010, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

 >I would presume that serial number data exists. Is there somewhere that
 >we could obtain it?

I doubt if it has been compiled. Charlie Barringer refused to collect
most Rollei QBM numbers save for the exotics. In any event, I would be
quite surprised to learn of any sort of rigid co-relation between serial
number and mount type.

It might not be as definitive as for Nikon where in many cases the company started a new serial number series for a new type of lens, but it should be indicative. Or they might have done it like Schneider where there was only one series of serial numbers for all products. With Schneider, you can estimate the age of the lens from the serial number. They say estimate since lenses are built in series with a block of serial numbers assigned to a series of lenses (which would all be the same type/model).

IAC, although it could probably be different for each type/model of lens, if they are really serial numbers (applied in numerical order) and Rollei stopped making QBM III for a given lens type when they started making QBM IV (I don't see why they would have continued to make both models at the same time) then given the type/model of a lens and the serial number, you should be able to determine if it is QBM III or QBM IV.

--
James Tyrer