[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2,8F, a traveler camera

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 12:30:55 -0700

   Well, me too, BB made my ears prick up. Rolleis were popular cameras for pin up and glamour photography. Both Bunny Yeager and Peter Gowland used them. Gowland was inspired to design a 4x5 twin lens reflex because 4x5 negs were more salable than 120. He also used a Graflex for a time but they are clumsy compared to a Rollei. I met him a couple of times at local camera sales and had an invitation to dinner with him and his wife Alice that fell through for some reason, maybe my work hours at the time. Many other glamour and pin-up photographers used Rollies. OTOH, Russ Meyer used a Leica. Bunny Yeager has a picture of herself with a Burke & James 8x10. The large format was a necessity for magazine and advertising photography at one time. She had good choice or good advice since it was an economical camera of good quality. The pornography business drove all the old style glamour photographers out of business.
   BB was a phenomenon. At the time of her fame I was the right age to be vulnerable and found her much more attractive (meaning sexy) than Monroe or Mansfield. I thought my lady friend of some sixty years looked like her when we met. Of course it was wishful thinking. Well, its all in the past.

On 8/17/2020 12:08 PM, F.W. Stutterheim (Redacted sender ferdi for DMARC) wrote:

Jan,
I had the same expectation but I feared this List might have become too politically correct so I kept it to myself. I am more confident now <grin>. Anyway I was about 9 years old when I became aware of Miss (it wasn't Ms in those days) Bardot. She was generally called a Sex Bomb over here. Well, I had no clue about sex yet but I knew for sure what a Sex Bomb was. So did all my little friends. All the girls wanted to wear a dress in BB model and colours.

Carlos,
As you read above your image had my attention. I like your picture as always. I have not yet purchased the new Ektachrome 100. I still have a few old rolls of 100G and Provia 100.

Best regards,
Ferdi.
----
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 17 aug. 2020, om 15:32 heeft Decher Jan <wanderjan@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:wanderjan@xxxxxxxxx>> het volgende geschreven:

Hi Carlos,

After your lead-in teaser, I expected a RF portrait of BB, but nevertheless, nice landscape... ;-)

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

---
Rollei List

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Online, searchable archives are available at