[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8F - Telos?

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:02:30 +0100

Kenneth Frazier a écrit :

Anybody know more?
 Ken

Hello from France.
Télos was a French company importing Rollei equipment to France in the sixties. At the time where the French VAT on photographic equipment was 33% like vinyl record and luxury goods. I do not remember when Télos ceased to be the official Rollei agent in France, but as of 1980 they were the official Hasselblad agent. Apparently both Rollei and Hasselblad were so pleased ;-) with this agent that Rollei switched to another distributor (I think that in the eighties there was a company called Rollei-France or something like that, probably a one-person company) and Hasselblad founded Hasselblad France, their subsidiary for importing their equipment to France.

Télos-badged Rollei-TLRs were quite common in shops at Boulevard Beaumarchis in Paris in the eighties. So there is nothing rare about a Télos-badged Rollei TLR ;-) it means that the cameré was imported to FGrance by Télos. This gives a certain time slot, but considering the serial nuber of the camera body gives a more precise information !!

It is hard to imagine, now that we have abolished customs barriers in the EU, how tantalizing it was in the sixties and seventies to buy Rollei cameras in Germany and import them illegaly into France. Not only retail prices were much lower in Germany due to a huge photo market unrivalled in France, and if you add the difference in VAT between the outrageous 33% in France and the corresponding German tax (do not remember but oit was much lower), you can easily imagine why France in the second half of the XX-century was never a good place for amateurs of medium format photography. Professionals did not have to pay the 33% VAT since their Rollei was considered as part of their professional equipment. So only French professionals plus some crazy French amateurs could afford a SL-66 for example in the sicties and seventis.

All the best,
--
Emmanuel