[rollei_list] Rolleiflex 2.8E value

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:58:02 -0400

I have been offered a Rolleiflex 2.8E (Xenotar) with worn leather case, strap, mirrored caps, nice instructions manual, diffusor, original box and paperwork(!). The owner may still find filters and maybe a shade. Lens looks okay but the camera clearly needs a thorough overhaul, the meter is not responding and the selftimer sluggish. Aperture and shutter wheelies are very stiff.

Any ballpark figure what these "middle aged" Rolleis are worth in this condition? I am at a loss regarding the value of these "user" Rolleis. Given rising CLA costs I don't want to offer too much but I also don't want to offend the owner with too low an offer.

On a related thought: I am surprised that I can always find well-worn 2.8E's and 3.5Es in the US but never an F in decent condition. Also no late Rolleicords or T's. Any explanation? Did fewer Rolleis get sold in the US in the 60s and 70s because of the "onslaught" of 35mm SLRs?
Jan