[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8C Film Frame

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 19:00:08 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:37 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8C Film Frame

No Elias, it's the lower roller reflection, when the
light enters into the camera for the exposure, due to
some reason and for some cameras the light reaches the
lower roller projecting the reflection for the next
frame, since the image is upside, the brightest image
part is down and the darkest part up (for most cases),
the roller receiving the excessive light is the lower
roller, the light comes from the brightest part of the
image being exposed reaching the lower roller that
projects this reflection to the fram waiting to be
exposed, upper roller has nothing to do.
We discussed this issue along two years writing
thousands and thousands of messages in other forum, we
also had Claus Prochnow, Todd Belcher, Dieter Paepke
from Dusseldorf opinions, however their explanations
were not enough and exact about the problem, Prochnow
finally said it needed a camera with the problem to
overhaul it, but he was ill and could not do the work.

Other users having cameras with the roller reflection
issue had partial success filling the lower gap,
anyway the problem did no disappear. As I wrote this
morning, I and others never had the problem, anyway I
could obtain a roller reflection with my C
overexposing very much using F 4 and F 2.8, the 3.5F
under similar conditions did not show the roller
reflection.-

Carlos

I think that when very bright light is at the bottom of the frame (top of the image) enough light can reflect off the emulsion to be reflected again by the roller. I think the real answer to this is to replace the roller with a non reflective one. One could try painting the roller with Krylon Ultra-Flat Black paint. I don't know if it would stick to the polished surface. It would probably work for long enough to test the idea.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx