[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash?

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:43:22 -0500

I always thought of Oriental as referring to us of the Arab persuasion. But that probably a much older use of the term. My 8 year old just finished a bunch of Thanksgiving related topics at school, and what I've gotten out of it is constant corrections any time I say "Indian" when I should be saying "Native American". My friend Mat who's known native Americans always reminds me that they refer to themselves as Indians.

I've found the Irish flash bulbs' site before, but they don't make small #6, or #25 bulbs - they make huge exciting bulbs that unfortunately I can't use.
There's a couple auctions I'm watching now, thanks to Marc's prompt.

There are Rolleiflexes with shoe mounts on their side that Sanders can get for Melanie... perhaps a trade up to a newer model would solve the problem.

I'm going to celebrate Thanksgiving today by taking the family portrait using my Rolleiflex and a few flash bulbs.

Elias

On Nov 26, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Frank Dernie wrote:

FWIW, I notice this sort of nomenclature being quite country dependant. I remember B D Colen being surprised, and convinced he had been misinformed, when told of an Asian area here in the UK since it was full of people from the Indian sub-continent. Well, India is in Asia, and the vast majority of British Asians are from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Any English person would only think of these people if Asians are referred to. People originally hailing from further east would probably be lumped under the label "Chinese" or "Oriental" if distinction was made at all. This had not occurred to me until BDs outburst all those years ago (he really seemed very miffed), but there it is.
FD

On 26 Nov, 2009, at 04:28, Elias Roustom wrote:

Ah, you meant to say Asian, as we younger & more sensitive people do today.

(just a jab in fun, Marc, I don't want to start a political correctness thing)

Thanks for clarifying.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Elias

On Nov 25, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 03:34 PM 11/25/2009, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I tried a web search for NOS Oriental Bulb and found nothing. What are you talking about. I have a stash of about a dozen or so bulbs. I'd have more fun using them if I thought they were cheap enough to replace.

Elias

Oriental was a descriptive term, not a brand name.

Chinese-made flashbulbs are cheap. China is in the Orient. There is no brand called "Oriental Bulbs" to my knowledge. Check e-Bay.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!