[rollei_list] Rollei trip

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:49:25 -0700

Friday from 5:45am until 10pm I spent down the CA coast starting at Carmel and ending at Pfeiffer State Beach. Carmel, Point Lobos, and Garrapata were gorgeous, but as I headed south I stopped at Pfeiffer Beach to check it out as I wanted to check out (with my sun finder) where the sun would actually be (on the horizon) at sunset as I wanted to photograph the sun through a giant hole through the rocks. The surf and sun coming through the hole is spectacular. But... there were gale force winds blowing - the sand, blowing sideways, acting like a sand blaster. So I left and went back up to Point Lobos.

Point Lobos was like I've seen it only one or two times previously - over literally thousands of times there - the ocean was dead calm. Nary a ripple, clear and blue. The sky was brilliant blue, no moisture anywhere, visibility was endless.

So I did what I don't normally do there, I photographed the vast grandeur of Point Lobos using my Rollei SL66, 40mm FLE HFT lens, and polarizer. I ran through a half dozen rolls of 220 Velvia 50 & 100. I'll process them later today. What I normally photograph at Point Lobos, is the rock formations on Weston Beach and views of various coves, trees, moss, etc, on the trails.

At 4pm, I headed back down the coast to Pfeiffer Beach to see if the wind had died down. It was actually worse than in the AM. So I headed back up the coast and photographed some of the grand vistas from highway 1 as it snakes along the coast. I also took some of these vistas with my 5D and 24-105 zoom. I'm curious as to how they compare to the 6x6 film version. I spent a little more time at Point Lobos before heading home.

Accuweather predicted overcast until 1pm, slight breezes, etc. It was exactly opposite. I looked up the weather on the National Weather Service Saturday morning (should have done this on Thursday evening) and it said:

...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

.TODAY...NW WINDS 20 TO 35 KT...WITH GUSTS TO 45 KT ALONG THE
COAST SOUTH OF POINT LOBOS.

Accuweather was grossly inaccurate!

Bob Adler and I actually did this together, but he used his Hasselblad so his part of the trip didn't count! ;-) We do this CA coast stuff and the back roads of Los Padres National Forest (different agendas each time) a minimum of once a month. We try for twice a month.

:-)

Jim