[rollei_list] Re: Rollei taking and viewing lens alignment

  • From: David Dodge <dannysoar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:14:43 -0400

Eric
Thanx. This is exactly what I was trying to say. I suppose the way to think about it is that a parallax corrected range finder can look over things that the tanking lens cannot. But why couldn't Ansel buy a paramander or crank his tripod up the 1-1/2 inches? For hand holding,, with a little thought, he could teach himself to compose with a 1-1/2 inch bend in his knees.
David

Eric Goldstein wrote

It's more the difference in the position of objects relative to each other (perspective) that is of more concern shooting a TLR close in than the error in framing (which is what the correction tries to compensate for). The paramender device Mamaya produced that you describe corrects for the perspective/parallax error. A. Adams was bothered by this and avoided TLRs and rangefinders because of it... Eric Goldstein

David Dodge wrote:
I'm puzzled by all the ingenuity spent on parallax correction. It seems easy enough to just aim a bit high, 1-1/2 inches on my Yashica. .

Most parallax correction contraptions are a bit of a makeshift.. Since the viewing lens is a bit higher it looks over things that might block the view of the taking lens. The Mamiya folks solve this with a device that fits between the camera and the tripod, that will jack the taking lens into the same place as the viewing lens. I have taken advantage of the bellows of a Mamiya to make 6x6 macro pictures by making pencil marks on the tripod. This wouldn't work if the camera had parallax control.
David