[rollei_list] Re: Rollei leather adhesive.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:47:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McClelland" <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:59 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rollei leather adhesive.

I have a rather nice Rollei 3.5F and I had it serviced by Ivor Matanle's
mate, Ed Trzoska. He did a fine job. However, the leather on the front panel
now curls up at the corners slightly - it is 'sticky' and adheres when I
press it down, but comes up again in about a day. I asked Ed about this and
he suggested using evo-stick. Whilst I have every respect for Ed, I must
admit this sounded a bit severe, esp because of the screws underneath!

What do you guys use?   Any helpful info gratefully recvd!

Thanks,

Bob McClelland
Cornwall (U.K.)

Try moistening the adhesive with some alcohol first, that may be enough to make it stick.
The original adhesive was a sort of shellac. The Rollei factory manual specifies the adhesive by a German brand name which I can't find doing a web search. Do NOT use rubber cement, it promotes corrosion. Most contact cements of the sort sold in the US as Pliobond or Barge Cement, are too strong and you want to be able to peel the leather off again. Try a little shellac and see if that works.
I am not so happy that a well known tech would return a camera like this.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx