[rollei_list] Rollei electronic shutter and SL 2000

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 21:07:18 -0300

> We had commented on the point Marc. The Voigtlaender electronic shutter was
> a _cloth shutter_ used for the SL 35 ME. The Rollei electronic shutter was a
> _metal shutter_ developed from 1974 by a Rollei team, I don't have the book
> here to give the names.
> Carlos

From 1972 Rollei had technicians and engineers from Rollei and from
Zeiss Ikon/ Voigtländer working on the drawing board. Both groups had
experience to design reflex cameras; in addition, Rollei had worked on
the electronics to control several camera functions. In 1974 , Rollei
decided to work on a new 35mm SLR camera based on the electronics, the
K-62 prototype, to renew the 35mm Rolleiflex and Voigtländer cameras
line.
There was a team for the purpose, from Rollei and Voigtländer
engineers and technicians:  Heinz Hamm, Erwin Scholz and Hans-Jürgen
Hartung (Rollei);Walter Swarofsky, Paul Greger, Heinz Rehn
(ZI/Voigtländer).
It was necessary a new electronic shutter for the new cameras. Copal
and Seiko from Japan were making a new type of metal electronic
shutter that could be assembled and disassembled in the camera focal
plane separately; previous cloth shutters required a disassembly of
the camera for a repair.
Rollei wanted its own electronic metal shutter because  they did not
wish to depend from the Japanese industry for this significant item.
Rollei also wanted a symmetric shutter as I explained in a previous
post, to use it for a lens at the exact center of the camera body,
thinking in the SL 2000 cubic and modular design. Copal and Seiko
shutters were assymetric. In July 1974 started the work on the new
Rollei electronic metal shutter. It had nothing to do with the
Voigtländer electronic cloth shutter.

Prochnow did not write that the SL 2000 was an exclusive Rollei design.
About June 1974 the new Rollei CEO Dr. Heinrich Peesel had talkings
with Messrs Franzmann, an architect studio from Hamburg, they
presented some ideas about a "cubic" camera with motor and modular
design. In a second meeting in August 1974 they presented to Rollei a
prototype shown in the page
44-850. This prototype had similarity with the SLX camera and looked
like a mini MF SLR camera. Rollei became interested about the first
prototype development. Franzmann original idea was about a mechanical
camera with additional motor,  Rollei decided to introduce several of
the Rolleiflex SL 35E and a few of SLX electronics to the prototype,
Franzmann prototype only was  the cubic body almost empty with a few
parts. Dr. Alster from Rollei had examined the prototype and there was
enthusiasm about the idea. The camera development had problems due to
some electronics parts. Ernst Moeckl,. linked to Rollei through some
cameras and projectors design, finished the prototype in 1977, however
the development work was ready at the ending of 1979 and in October
1980 the cameras SL 2000F and 2000 F motor started their regular
production,  they were made in Germany only, Prochnow describes the SL
2000 development along four pages with photographs, data and dates.