[rollei_list] Re: Rollei baffles (was Strange Rollei problem)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:49:36 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 7:31 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rollei baffles (was Strange Rollei problem)

That portrait by CarlosMF was taken with the 'cord IV, Plus X developed in Tetenal 1+4 using a Vivitar 283 flash at 45º rebounding on the white ceiling and wall, I think the camera controlled the internal reflections very well (BTW, if the baffles are not good after 55 years, any solution using newer materials will be better than the old one):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/2795393996/

Carlos

I suspect there may be a more light absorptive finish than whatever Rollei used. Not sure about that, the finish is pretty dead but there are some reflections especially from the knife edges of the baffles. My old standard has considerable internal reflection, very obvious when inspecting the interior but it doesn't seem to affect the images that much. As Eric points out its easy to fix. I think Rollei was quite aware of the importance of reducing internal reflections as witness the baffles and the excellent lens shade. No matter how good the lens coating is reflections from the interior of the camera can cause a lot of flare and undo the good of the coating.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx