[rollei_list] Re: Rollei at the Movies

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:56:34 -0400

Craig Roberts wrote:

Thank you, Carlos. I have the same reaction to Diane Arbus' photographs. It's a morbid fascination. I'll view them in a book but would never display one.

I shot this frame with my stopped-down 2.8C and straight-on flash knowing that it would have an "Arbus" look but have mixed emotions about exhibiting it. I thought it fit in with our ongoing -- if indirect -- discussion of her work, but I also feel a measure of unease. Are photos like this exploitive? I have signed model releases from the two subjects -- who were very happy to have this picture taken -- but is that enough to absolve a photographer of responsibility for viewer reaction which he knows may be -- at least in some cases -- negative and humiliating?

I don't know if Diane Arbus struggled with this ethical question, but I do -- which is why this image is "for your eyes only."
So --my question is, was Diane Arbus (with her on-topic Rollei) exploiting her subjects in a cruel manner?

Craig
Washington, DC -- exploitation's East Coast HQ

Side stepping ethics for legal matters... It does not appear that this was shot while you were in a public place. Do you have releases from these people or their legal guardians?

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List