[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Users Book

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 20:51:46 -0400

I don't mean to rain on the parade - just a comment my obsessive side was compelled to make. It really is a wonderful effort brought to life by hard work and the magic of digital. Three cheers for Mr. Ridings!

Thanks Dennis, that's kind of you. The cross shapes are bearers, or hangers, that spare lengths of steel (iron?) rail are hung on beside the railroad tracks. I imagine that's part of the maintenance of a rail line. All the rails were knocked off, presumably by some kids with too much energy.

E.

On May 8, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Dennis Purdy wrote:

I am not a book binding expert, and I can see that the binding might not be the absolute highest quality, but it isn't bad. The biggest problem I have with mine is that the cover sheet wants to come off and might get a piece of tape to keep it on. I personally like my books to have a hard cover because they hold up better and had you not mentioned the binding I wouldn't have noticed it was less than perfect. So I would not let that convince me I must get a soft cover. I would still prefer this nice black bound hard cover to a paper cover. But then I am ignorant of the finer points.

Elias your work is really good. I wonder what those metal cross shapes in the ground are. And it is interesting how they mirror the shapes of the hinges in another of your photos. And I love that chest of drawers.

Dennis

On May 8, 2008, at 05:14, ERoustom wrote:

I got my copy last night, and was duly impressed by the content. Thanks Daniel for the effort.

I am compelled to suggest (as a book-arts instructor) that you not opt for the case bound book, even though the sleeve is well printed. Save the few dollars for a roll of film. The book's format is much more suited to a soft cover, and the over-sized spine on the hard case is bit annoying. But that's me - I know too much. I might have to rebind mine...

Elias

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org